Page last updated: August 2021
- The World health Organization advises that there is currently no evidence that people can catch COVID-19 from food or food packaging. Further investigation is needed into the origin and spread of COVID-19, including any possible role of frozen food and packaging.
- Maintaining good hygiene practices is recommended.
- Stay home if you are sick, don't attend the workplace and get tested if you have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Businesses need to follow relevant government requirements in Australian and New Zealand (e.g. social distancing, border restrictions and face-masks).
- The COVID-19 vaccine roll-out is underway. See vaccination information for industry on the Safe Work Australia website.
Food production and supply is considered an
essential service in Australia and in
New Zealand. We are working with the Department of Health, the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment, state and territory health authorities, and international counterparts to ensure the most up to date information is available on our website for consumers, those working in the food industry, and charities, groups and volunteers donating food.
For the latest news on COVID-19 see the Australian Government Department of Health
If you are in New Zealand, see the
Ministry of Health for the latest news on COVID-19 and the
Ministry for Primary Industries for food safety advice.
Have you got a question that isn't covered here? Email us.
Where can I find more information?
FAO: Guidance for preventing transmission of COVID-19 within food businesses.
NSW Food Authority:
Advice for Food Businesses.
New Zealand: COVID-19 and food safety.
New Zealand Food Safety Science & Research Centre: COVID-19: Information for food industry.
Northern Territory: Guidelines for food businesses.
Safe Food Production Queensland:
COVID-19 Advice for Food Businesses.
Advice for Food businesses and industry.
COVID-19 Food safety advice.
Advice for Food Businesses.
Food safety and COVID-19.
WHO: COVID-19: Food businesses.
Latest Australian COVID-19 updates: see the Australian Government Department of Health
Food safety requirements: the requirements of
Standards 3.2.2 and 3.2.3apply to all Australian businesses. For help meeting the requirements, see our guide to the food safety standards -
Safe Food Australia and our
Food safety enforcement and compliance: Australian state and territory health authorities and the New Zealand Ministry for Primary Industries are responsible for enforcement and compliance of the Food Standards Code. Contact details are available on our
Australian workplace laws: Fair Work Ombudsman.
Safe Work Australia: COVID-19 Information for workplaces.
Safe Work Australia: Vaccination inforamtion for industry.